Welcome to the World David!
Part 3
They sewed me up which felt like it was taking forever. But soon enough I was ready to roll into recovery. I was feeling pretty good really. Still numb, and very little pain. I was of course on a lot of drugs! It only took about an hour to regain feeling back. Apparently my body temperature wasn’t staying up, so during that hour they had to bundle me in some blankets, and then in this crazy blow up blanket that was connected to a big fan that blew hot air into it. Eventually I started to get crazy hot, so it did the trick. Regaining feeling was not as strange as I thought it was going to be. I was terrified I was going to feel that “pins and needles” feeling throughout my body, but luckily it was nothing. I could just all of a sudden start feeling more and more, starting from my chest, and finally my toes. Dad had come back after about a half hour of being with David. He was having some breathing difficulties and was placed under a clear oxygen hood to help him get air. Jim said there was nothing much else to do there, so decided to come check on me.
When it was time to go, they wheeled my bed into the NICU so I could finally see my little man. He was a tiny little guy and made a sweet yet sad whimpering sound as you could tell he was struggling a bit to breathe. It broke my heart to see him there and I was sad I wasn’t going to get to hold him right away. I was still hopeful that he would be out of there soon and I would be holding him before the end of the day. Unfortunately, that didn’t end up being the case.
Some other bad news that I learned along the way was that I was not going to be able to eat anything until the next morning. I was on a “clear liquid diet”. Fabulous. All I wanted to do was scarf down a subway sandwich. In all honesty, I wasn’t that hungry actually, but I knew I would be and was stuck with chicken broth and italian ice. Well, as a little bit of luck had it, I managed to ::ahem:: pass some gas within a couple hours, which bought me a ticket to a “full liquid diet” which meant I could have a milkshake or some creamed soups. A little more appetizing at least. I took advantage of that and had a large milkshake that evening.
The next few days have gotten a little fuzzy honestly, but luckily we have lots of pictures to remember what happened. For Dad and I, we just did a lot of sitting around. Not much to do in the hospital when I’m pretty much stuck in bed and we have no baby in the room. We would make a few trips to the NICU - which was thankfully right across the hall - each day to check on David.
Dad had to run home to check on the kitty cats, and ultimately we decided it was best for him to stay home. It wasn’t really that comfortable for him at the hospital and the air was so dry, it really affected his allergies. I was sad that he wasn’t with me, but really, we would both sleep better with him at home.
Around 10:30pm or so, one of the NICU doctors came in and decided that the oxygen hood just wasn’t working anymore and wanted to put David on a CPAP machine. Dad used to wear one to sleep, so we were very familiar with what that was. Basically, it is a machine that pushes air into the lungs via the nose. So David would then not have to struggle as much to get the air into his system. He was still breathing on his own, but this was just a major assistant.
This was a setback, and we were now really getting worried about what this would mean for David. All I wanted to do was be able to hold my baby!!
 |
| David under the oxygen hood |
 |
| I see you! |
 |
| Daddy and David |
 |
| Mama and David |
 |
| All those yucky cords |
 |
| Tiny little leg |
 |
| Dad's home checking on Devo |
 |
| Sadie in her favorite spot |
 |
| Dad's bedtime aresnal! |
No comments:
Post a Comment